Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fitting The Pieces Together

With the increase in knowledge of the various learning theories and styles I have found other learning styles that I possess. I always have known that I did not have one best style of learning that was a one size fit all. Often times the material that I needed to learn or even how long I needed to retain it often depended on the method of study. I can remember utilizing basic memorization techniques when needing to recite a speech in my earlier learning. This would be speeches that I would never utilize verbatim again; however, I needed to show current proficiency. Scaffolding is another technique that occurred without me realizing the proper name for it. I feel scaffolding is an excellent technique even in general discussions that plays a big part on the impact of learning for others. I also utilize paraphrasing often when learning new content. For me, this is how I truly possess the qualities of the humanist theory with a desire to fulfill my potential. If I can convert the same information into my own terminology without loss of its intended message, then, I have begun to learn the concept. This is also where the proper use of analogies will benefit the learner. As an instructional designer, the use of analogies with learners will be a benefit on their comprehension of the material.

When studying more challenging material I found the use of elaboration as a helpful technique. This method forces me to prove my comprehension of the learning material. Elaboration has so many forms of efficiency. Paraphrasing, questioning and note taking are just a few.
Throughout the study of the various learning theories, I feel I take part in the use of almost all of the Theories. Through the use of the cognitive learning theories, this is a great way for me to retrieve Information that may have been stored in my long term memory. I can take new information as I continue to learn and relate it to prior learning. This is useful in problem solving, concept learning, and transfer of knowledge.
I also feel adult learning provides the opportunity for reflection, clarification and guidance provided through an online learning environment. This can be found in the chat rooms, structured online class time or even through discussion. For some adults weary of approaching the in class environment due to other commitments, this method still provides a healthy, engaging, learning environment.

Technology has been a great tool for my learning environment. With the technology of today, I am able to be more efficient in my research and time. I am able to research several different mediums at once. Most research you can find in visual, auditory and even text format. This is a great attribute that will accommodate various learning styles. The variety of the learning resources is great for maintaining my attention span. One thing I can confirm I have learned about my learning style is, variety is better. Technology provides a great medium to store and share information amongst other learners. This enables group learning and individual learning. In some ways technology is very learner driven. For me, I have never really considered myself a “techno buff” and still don’t; however, through this course I am becoming more adept at improving my technical skill set. Learning new skills has been a great motivator as a learner and designer, adding more skills to my tool belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment