Sunday, August 1, 2010

Connectivism

I have a close and varied network. Each sector contributes differently to my learning. As I begin to reflect on how those involved in my network contribute to the way I learn, each serves a different purpose. The social sites that I frequent mostly contribute to entertainment and mental relaxation. Occasionally, there will be a post of relevance and know how. This would be an instance when I would pay close attention to the details causing my cognitive skills to wake up and “pay attention”. For instance, just the other day a friend posted a video on the various additives that are being approved by FDA and input into our daily food. Through research those same additives are now being linked to common causes of cancer in humans. This may or may not have been information I would have come across through my normal studies.
The work sites that I visit have changed the way I learn in that I use a more varied way of learning, depending on what task I am working with. Birkman man has allowed me to hone my skills in concepts and deciphering. I think it has also allowed me to grow as a person by being more cognizant of people perceptions when discussing their results. I feel Birkman is a great tool for understanding people and their reactions; although, it may not be 100% accurate. Mind tools is a great source to research information that can be used in my daily work practices. Now I may frequent this site for the latest information.
Technology has become a more consistent network in learning. Years ago learning was more hands on, live and in person, that has now changed. Now it’s easy and practical to reach out to others on the internet to communicate on different learning topics. Blogs is a great example of this varied approach to learning through technology. Taking classes online is another way technology has been an influence on learning. Here you are able to learn basic skills such as time management and organizing while also learning the class material.
I like e-learning or videos to assist in facilitating learning. They allow me to review at my leisure, also providing a visual of the learning material. I am a visual learner at times. When you have the e-learning, it assists in retrieval of data.
There are different ways to gain new knowledge when I have questions. Often how depends on which network I am working with. In my online classroom, I am able to reach out to other students or faculty if I am unable to locate a solution through the resources already provided. When working on your blogs or other personal sites you can post or send messages to others. Of course, there is always the Google search option to locate the new information you desire.
My personal network has been a great support in assisting with the other daily life chores that arise which allows me to have more time to dedicate to learning. Listening is also a key skill that I can count on my personal network to provide. In fact, I think that may be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment